Did you know that the winter months are the most dangerous months for electrical fires? Fire deaths are higher in these months, because the winter calls for more indoor activities. Continue reading to learn how to avoid an electrical fire in your home.
Electrical problems account for nearly 30,000 fires annually, and roughly 53% of residential electrical fires are due to faulty electrical wiring. During the winter months, particularly December and January, fire deaths are at their highest, mainly due to people remaining indoors during this season. This causes an increase in lighting, heating and electrical appliance usage. Many of the fires are a result of faulty use of electrical appliances (extension cords, outlets, lamps, space heaters, etc). and can easily be avoided.
- Routinely check your electrical appliances and wiring.
- Replace any old or damaged electrical cords.
- Discard and replace any tool or appliance that administers even the smallest electrical shock, or if it overheats or sparks.
- Keep children away from electrical appliances, cords and outlets. Use tamper resistant outlets or safety covers, at all times.
- Never overload your circuit breakers or an extension cord or outlet.
- Keep flammable materials (including blankets, drapes, etc.) away from heating units.
- Look for UL listing on electrical appliances prior to purchasing.
- Make sure you have working smoke detectors. They can save your life!
- Hire only a licensed professional electrician to perform electrical work on your home!
For further questions on how to stay safe in your home, or if you may need our services, please feel free to give us a call. We are always happy to help and consultations are always free.
And remember, cheap electrical work causes fires, ALWAYS hire a licensed professional electrician!
Kenny Corrao, Owner
Corrao Electric Co., Inc.